Q: Car won't start

Why wont my car start? I bought new ignition coils, replaced the cam shaft sensor, and got a new battery. Car still will not start and battery is draining very quick while car is not even on.

Starting issues can be frustrating, so we need to take it one step at a time. I am assuming, due to the fact you are replacing parts like the cam shaft sensor, that your vehicle will crank but not turn over. This would mean the starter is working, and the battery has enough power to engage and crank the starter.

The next symptom to address is the parasitic draw or battery drain. Depending on how you want to do things, you can attempt to diagnose this issue and see if the starting issue is related. If the draw is robbing the battery of power, that would cause it to lack the power it needs. But I do not think that is your problem. If you properly installed the ignition coils correctly and know you are getting good spark, then we can rule out the ignition system.

We should then turn to fuel because it is the most likely to need maintenance. Do you hear the fuel pump prime when the key is turned to accessory? This would sound like a faint "whirling" or impeller sound. If not, check your fuel pump relay and then the fuel pump itself. When was the last time you changed the fuel filter? If it is clogged, the engine will not have fuel available to ignite.

In the same light, dirty or clogged fuel injectors will cause the same issue. If your fuel system checks out, check the air intake, air filter, and related sensors. Sensors may be able to be inspected with a scan tool. Be sure to have a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, determine why your car will not start to diagnose the exact cause of the problem.

3. Car won't start