Q: Car won't start but cranks

After adding $5 of gas, the car won't start. All it does was crank. Could it be the fuel pump or a sensor? It crank before, because we changed the battery and took it out to auto parts to charge it to be safe and brought it back and I guess that's when the problem started happening. Car been set for two years I believe.

It’s easy to check if the fuel pump is running. The pump is located under the right rear of the car ahead of the axle. You can lie on the ground and put your hand on it while a helper cranks the engine for a moment. Please be sure the car is in Park and the brake is on. You will feel the fuel pump kick and whir if it is coming on. If the pump is not coming on, it is probably a fuel pump relay failure; a common problem on your car. The relay is located near the battery. It’s about the size of a pack of cigaretts. It is side by side with the AC relay which looks just like it except the AC relay says KLIMA on top. The relay is expensive, so you want to be sure before you go shopping for one. If you would rather not gamble, or if your fuel pump turns out to be running you can have the car properly diagnosed by contacting Your Mechanic. They can send a technician to your home or office to check out your starting problem and tell you what it will take to solve it.

3. Car won't start but cranks