Q: Car won't always turn over

Car starts okay 4 out of 5 times, but on that one time when I turn it off, everything electric seems to go dead quickly (i.e., radio alarm doesn’t sound) and the car just has a different sound to it. When this first happened, after sitting for about 30 minutes, it didn’t want to turn over (gave it gas and it turned over). Battery was replaced less than 2 years ago; battery terminals cleaned this summer (wouldn’t start); battery tested – okay, although running at low voltage. Mechanic at garage can’t figure out the problem since every time they’ve tried to repeat the issue I’m having, it won’t do it.

A: There are many reasons why vehicles can hav...

There are many reasons why vehicles can have issues starting. The only way the entire car will be cut from having power, is if the battery doesn’t have a closed circuit (or is bad, but we can assume it’s not). You may want to start by checking the battery’s ground connection. The battery will have a ground running from the negative battery terminal to a metal ground somewhere on the vehicle. If this connection is loose, rusted, corroded, cut, or frayed, the connection could be intermittent like you are experiencing. With the limited information given, and not having the car in front of us, it’s hard to diagnose the issue. Based on "the starting once you gave it gas" information, you should have your fuel filter and fuel pump inspected to see if a replacement is needed. At certain stages of a vehicles age, it may be experience multiple issues at the same time. If you need help inspecting your battery, fuel filter, and fuel pump, YourMechanic offers a repair and diagnosis service preformed by a certified mechanic that will commute to your location for these concerns.