Q: Car will start but once i put it into gear it will not move just revs!!!

I started the car up one day and put it into reverse. It sounded like something was popping behind the driver side tire and it also felt like I was dragging something. I got out and check all seemed fine. A few days latter I try to drive car and it started popping again.This time the car would not move. I tried all the gear and nothing. The car would not move no light came on however when I put it back to park I can hear a grinding noise as the rpm died down.The car will not move been months sitting in the same spot what is wrong with it? .. also what can I do to the car so I don't ruin it since its winter very cold in low teens and snow on the car. should I leave gas in it and take the tires off witch are new still. don't want my car ruin for sitting so long. I have like a 8th of a tank of gas in it should i put more in it so It don't ruin the gas pump.I'm in Ohio winter!!!

It sounds like you have a CV joint that has failed. The CV joints are the couplings between the axle and the front wheels that enable power to be transmitted through the shaft to a wheel that is being steered. When a joint is going bad, they begin to make a "popping" sound, most often while the car is being steered sharply as in parking. Eventually, when the joint fails completely, there will be no connection between the axle and the wheel so the engine just freewheels and the car goes nowhere. When you tried to put the car into park, the sound you heard was the parking pawl trying to engage while the transmission was turning. Since there was no connection between the wheel and the axle, applying the brake did not stop the transmission from turning so it;s just like trying to engage park while you are moving. The good news is it’s probably not that big a deal to fix Unless the parking pawl on the transmission was damaged, replacing the CV joint could be all that you need. Contact Your Mechanic, and they can send a technician to your home or office to check out your CV joints and tell you what can be done about them.

3. Car will start but once i put it into gear it will not move just revs!!!