Q: Car will not start

My car ran out of gas and when I put gas it didnt start, it would try but wouldn't fully start, later when I had it towed the battery died, now when I try to start it there are no engine sounds and the windshield wipers start moving as well. Please help me identify the main issues with my vehicle.

A: The first problem is that you may not have ...

The first problem is that you may not have ran out of gas but burned out the fuel pump by running the fuel pump with low fuel for a prolonged period of time. Then with all the cranking needed to try and start the car, you ran the battery dead.

You should have your Ford Contour's battery charged and tested, and then have the fuel pressure tested along with the computer scanned for any codes that indicate a problem other than the fuel pump. If the fuel pump is bad, then replace the pump and filter at the same time. Running the fuel tank below a 1/4 tank all the time may lead to a fuel pump failure due to the fuel pump using the fuel to keep it cool in the tank. If the pump gets hot, it can fail. If you are still having trouble, an expert from YourMechanic can come to your car's location to help you diagnose the starting issue in person.