Q: Car will not go into reverse.

My reverse gear is not working. In addition, the car makes a loud noise when in reverse.

A: Being unable to reverse your car can be an ...

Being unable to reverse your car can be an alarming concern. There appears to be a few reasons as to why the reverse gear is making noise and not working in your vehicle. If your car is equipped with 4 wheel drive, the transfer case can duplicate a loss of reverse and it may be the culprit behind what your Explorer is experiencing. Another possibility for a lack of reverse gear is that the shifter cable is starting to lose tension and your car is in between gears. While your vehicle's gear indicator may say it is in reverse, it may actually be in the neutral gear.

Now a worst case possibility is that the reverse band, found in your transmission, is itself breaking. While this is worst case, it is also a common issue on this particular transmission. These concerns can be a little tricky, so it is always a good idea to enlist the assistance of a certified mechanic who can inspect the different possibilities of why your car is experiencing this reverse gear concern.