Q: Car was cutting off at random, now it won't start.

I was having a problem with my car cutting off at random times, but would re-start. Well the other day I was sitting in my car on lunch break, and it cuts off on me and wouldn't re-start. I was suggested to replace my fuel pump, which needed to be done since my car was hydro locked which is what the last shop said and i had alot of work done to it, and for some reason they didnt replace the fuel pump. well after replacing the fuel pump, same results it will turn over but will not start. Now i will be replacing my ignition coil, it does look old and worn. also i did have auto zone read my codes, they are p0420 p0108 p0401. Any suggestions?

Hi there. It sounds like there is a possibility of a fault with the MAP sensor system for the P0108 code, an EGR fault for the P0401, and a catalytic converter fault for the P0420 code.

Your concern could be a combination of the MAP sensor fault and a possible idle air control valve failing. If there is a short or open circuit, vacuum leak, or damage to either of these components then the engine idle could be affected.

The ignition coil may look old, but still be properly functioning and replacement will still have you at square one. I strongly suggest acquiring a qualified technician to perform an inspection to avoid replacing unnecessary parts. YourMechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with a Check Engine Light inspection, a car does not start inspection, and provide an estimate and direction of repair.