Q: Car starts but then stalls

After replacing the ignition key switch due to it being sticky and hard to turn with the key, sometimes it starts but won't hold on when the steering wheel is moved.

A: Since this issue did not present itself unt...

Since this issue did not present itself until after the replacement of the ignition switch, it most likely was created during the installation or reassembly process. In order to replace the ignition switch, the steering column needs to be lowered. During this process, it is very important to take note of the position of each component that is removed, loosened or set aside. This will help ensure everything is reassembled exactly how the manufacturer intended so that the vehicle will operate properly.

I recommend inspecting all components that needed to be moved in order to replace the ignition switch. Pay close attention to the ignition switch actuation rod, as this is most likely where the problem lies. The ignition switch needs to be adjusted to the mid-position of the rod lash, otherwise an issue, such as the one you’re having may arise again.

Making this adjustment is something many people are not comfortable doing. If you are unsure, I would recommend having a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your home or office to replace the ignition switch for you.