Q: Car starts but makes loud clicking noise by ignition. Check engine light on

Car starts but when I start it up there's a loud clicking noise coming from ignition/steering wheel area that lasts about a minute. Check engine light came on.

Hi there. In some cases what you are describing is caused by an ignition relay that is staying open when you turn the key and start the vehicle. This can create a clicking type of noise sound as you’ve described. However since the check engine light has been triggered, it could also be caused by a sensor or other electrical component that is faulty. For this reason, it is probably best to have a professional mobile mechanic come to your location and complete a check engine light inspection, so they can download the error code that triggered this light; and allow them to determine what is causing the code and resolve this problem.

3. Car starts but makes loud clicking noise by ignition. Check engine light on