Q: Realistic cost of owning a new 2016 AMG S63 vs. a S550 (both 4matic)

asked by on September 26, 2016

Am looking to buy a new amg s63 or s550 4matic. I have searched the net but haven't been able to find the actual differences between the 2 models except that basically the S 63 is a faster more powerful car. Does the S 63 ride as smoothly as the S550? If the annual cost of maintenance differs between the two cars what would the annual maintenance cost be for each car including preventative maintenance?

As you may know, there are very few things (if any) that either of these cars do not have (assuming we are NOT including the S63 Coupe in this comparison, which is a much more extreme version of the S Class). The S63 comes with more power (577-hp twin turbo V8) than the S55 (455-hp twin turbo V-8) and slightly more distinctive looks. However, they are both extremely well equipped cars. Other than power options, these two cars are very similar. The main difference in the ride between the two cars will be the slightly stiffer suspension in the S63 simply due to the need to harness a bit more horsepower and dynamics. In terms of annual maintenance costs, these two cars should be comparable as they are virtually the same in many ways other than the slightly higher horsepower engine in the S63. However, the maintenance should not be noticeably more in the S63 because of this.