Q: Car failed emmisions test

Went to mechanic because check engine light came on, thought it was the gas cap, replaced,mechanic reset engine light, went for emissions check, car failed emissions check

Hi There, There are many different reasons that can cause a car to fail an emissions test. Depending on your state or testing center, they will generally give you a report that will indicate the reasons for the failed test. This is important for any mechanic to be able to determine what steps to take in order to correct the problem. I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your car.