Q: Car sputters after 3000rpm and cuts out

The car starts right up, drives fine up until hitting roughly 3000rpm. This happens regardless if the car is under load, it still won't Rev past 3000rpm. When your foot is all the way to the floor or is simply passed 3000rpm the car feels like it bucks .The farther you drive the car the more it sputters and if you drive it for long enough say over 5 minutes it's as if it runs out of fuel and just won't go.I have changed the fuel filter, dropped the fuel tank and cleaned it, changed spark plugs, replaced the fuel distributor with a used one, changed cap/rotor, replaced all fuses. The car was off a tooth so I fixed that as well.

You said that you changed the fuel filter and cleaned the tank, but did not say weather you had checked the fuel pressure. Checking the fuel pressure(s) is an important Diagnostic step on the old 240’s with the K Jet system and requires a special setup to test the line pressure and the control pressure. In a case like your’s I might even suggest taping a fuel pressure gauge to the windshield and driving around to see if the pressure falls off when you’re under power. Another step you may consider taking is to unbolt the catalyst and test drive the car. It’s possible that the catalyst has melted down and you’re driving around with a big rock in your exhaust. The symptoms kind of fit. If you still can’t sort this thing out, contact Your Mechanic to have a technician come to your home or office to check out your Volvo and tell you what needs to be done about it.

3. Car sputters after 3000rpm and cuts out