Q: Why is my 2004 Honda Civic sputtering and dying after the oil was changed

asked by on July 26, 2017

The other day, my car started having what we thought were transmission issues (wouldn't kick into overdrive and then shifted slowly) and now it will start, sputter a bit and then die (turning on the check engine and oil lights). We just took it in to get oil changed and all the fluids checked and they said the oil was really low(though we never had the oil light on). But it continues to have these issues and won't stay in for more than 15 seconds after getting the oil changed and filled. Is this something the lack of oil could have caused or unrelated?

Hello. This can be caused by a lot of different things. It can be from the oil issue. That could have resulted in an internal engine failure or an issue with the variable valve timing system. This system uses oil to run properly and low oil can damage it. It may also just be a sensor or need a tune up. I would usually scan the computer for codes first and see if the sensors are reading correctly. If that doesn’t provide me with anything I would pull the spark plugs and inspect them and do a compression test. If you need some help with this, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to you to [diagnose why your car is sputtering] https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/engine-is-sputtering-inspection