Q: Car overheating

I started having issues with the heat in my car a month ago the temp gauge would go to hot then back to normal then to hot when it was idle it would go to hot also when the gauge was at hot the heat would blow cold air I wemt to VIP they said waterpump I got a 2nd opinion and was told thermostat I had it changed they checked my head gasket said the seals were good and did say I had some corosion on my water pump with some seepage. The thermostat being changed made my car go back to normal 3 days after it was fixed I had a 2 hour car ride on the way back the temp gauge starting going to hot and then back down (same symptoms) I wemt to VIP they said my coolant was a gallon and a half low they filled it and said they thought I had an air bubble from changing my thermostat it hasn't over heateheated sense putting coolant in my oil looks normal no white smoke coming from exhaust . What's going on??

When coolant is re-introduced to the cooling system after a major cooling system repair, the cooling system MUST be purged of air. Indeed, on many vehicles, there are purge points that are intentionally designed into the system to effect purging of air as coolant is added. If the cooling system is not purged of air, what will happen is exactly what happened to you: the car will overheat and as the trapped air finally reaches the top tank of the radiator, you will find that the coolant level is too low. The vehicle should not have been released to you without ensuring that there was no air in the system and/or they should have verbally alerted you to the need to check the coolant level after driving the car a short while (but only when cool, of course) and add coolant as needed. The only other explanation for what happened is that you have a leak but even if the water pump is seeping, you won’t lose such a large amount of coolant. Keep a eye on the coolant level going forward and also be mindful of the possibility that you might need a water pump soon. Some leakage from the weep hole on the pump is OK but if it becomes continual, replace the pump at your convenience so you are not stranded somewhere if the pump seizes and fails. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.