Q: While I'm driving the accelerator disengages and it won't accelerate with the gas pedal pressed all the to the floor.

I start the car up it drives fine for about 5 minutes. After that the accelerator disengages and the car won't rev the engine at all with the gas pedal pressed all the way down. I have to turn off the car and turn it back on until it starts to work again.

A: This loss of accelerator control is a built...

This loss of accelerator control is a built in safety feature of the vehicle computer and can render the throttle inactive if it sees a problem in a major component or loses communication with the throttle sensor.

I have even seen where the brakes being on at the same time you try to push the throttle the computer will not let you accelerate. This can happen if you use two feet to drive and rest your foot on the brake while driving and the computer thinks you want to stop at the same time accelerate. The computer will take the brake signal and not let you accelerate.

Recommend having the Check Engine Light scanned by a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, to see if there is codes that need diagnosed or try not to touch the brake at the same time accelerating.