Q: Car only starts if started daily -- not letting it sit. 1992 Isuzu Pickup

Ok, first, I know this is an old truck. But, I've had extensive work done on it: tune up kit (plugs, wires, cap), a rebuilt 2-barrel carb installed, timed by a good mechanic. The fuel pump works ok I was told. When I asked the mechanic if there were anything else I could do, he replied honestly, "It is what it is." Ok, my question is, if all of the above has been done, what is the difference between that engine and one that is much newer? In other words, why is it so difficult to start, especially if I let it sit for only a few days (nearly run down the battery then). What else can I do to/for the engine? Thanks.

A: Hello. You need to have the carburetor rech...

Hello. You need to have the carburetor rechecked to make sure the choke is working okay and that the fuel is not leaking all out over a few days. This sounds like a carburetor is out of fuel or fuel leaked into the engine and has flooded it out causing the hard start. Try to hold the throttle wide open to see if it starts better then let off once it starts. This will tell you it floods out the engine or the choke is not set correctly. If you would like to have a second opinion, a qualified professional from YourMechanic, can come to your car’s location to diagnose the starting problem.