Q: Q: Car not starting

My car is currently not starting and there was few things I suspected that could be it and after I changed them it still wouldn't start. I changed the idle air control valve, battery, and spark plugs and still no luck, which all of them had to be changed regardless. The car at least cranks fine. The previous owner told me she had to change the spark plugs every 3 months or so which is insane. So when I took out the spark plugs the end piece where it's supposed to spark was caked in gunk so a friend told me something inside the engine could be shot like maybe the pistons. What else could be the issue?

When an old Benz from the 1908’s doesn’t start, the first place I usually look is the fuel pump relay. It’s a big relay near the battery and the ECU. It’s about the size of a pack of cigarettes and sits side by side with it’s twin, the Air conditioner relay. You can tell them apart because the AC relay says KLIMA on the top. If you can substitute a known-good relay and see if your car starts, you might be able to do a quick fix. If that doesn’t do the trick, you’ll have to turn to a more systematic diagnosis. As for the deposits on the sparkplugs, it sounds like you’re burning oil. In most cases, with that engine, it will be a case of replacing the valve stem seals. Oil leaks down the stems and gets into the cylinders. However, at 220,000 miles, it’s also possible that your rings are worn out. A proper compression test should tell the story. In either case, you can contact Your Mechanic for help. They will send a technician to your home or office to check out your Benz and let you know what it will take to solve your problems.

3. Q: Car not starting