Q: Car not accelerating when first started

asked by on February 10, 2016

After my car sits for a long period, it has difficulty accelerating after the first time I stop while driving. The engine does not rev when I step on the gas pedal. I think the transmission is okay, in addition to the fuel pump and filter. I think it could be the throttle body.

Car is slow to accelerate Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. When you let your car sit for a long period of time the gasoline tends to lose its combustibility. Along with sediment settling in your tank this will cause your vehicle to not perform properly. Also a malfunction in your throttle position. This sensor tells your vehicle how much to open your throttle body in sync with your gas pedal. A blockage in your fuel delivery system is possible from this sediment trying to pass through your fuel lines which are relatively constricted. Have a mechanic sent by YourMechanic come to your residence and diagnose your vehicle’s acceleration issue more accurately.