Q: Car nearly stops while driving and not performing well

My car is having performance problems. Recently, it began to nearly stop while I was driving. It was as if only 2 or 3 of the cylinders were functioning. After pulling over to the side of the road, I turned off the engine. Then I waited a while and restarted it. It ran normally and no engine lights came on. I called the dealership and was told not to be concerned about it. I can't do any better than 6.5 to 7 seconds 0-60 time, in S+ or S mode. Of course, I'm not trying to drag race or anything like that, but I feel a car should have the power to burn off rear tires if the ESP is disabled. When the ESP is off and I floor it, there is not a single chirp from it. The transmission is jerky and has the feeling like it is slipping. I was told that this is how these transmissions feel. I am hoping that is not the case, because it does not seem normal to me. The car makes a great noise, but it just doesn't seem like it is performing like it should. Do you think that the computer is causing a problem or what is your determination of my car’s problem?

A: Hi there, thanks for writing in. These vehi...

Hi there, thanks for writing in. These vehicles were designed to limit wheel slip in order to achieve the best possible traction. Even with ESP turned off, the vehicle has it’s own regulations for torque management to prevent something from breaking. Check your maintenance history to be sure all maintenance is up to date. Being an AMG model, your vehicle is best serviced at the dealer.