Q: Diesel fuel used instead of regular fuel

asked by on February 18, 2017

My uncle put diesel fuel in my car by accident. The car stalled for a bit. I had it towed to my house and now it won't start at all. What do you suggest I have done to the vehicle. Will it run normally again

Gasoline engine systems cannot properly atomize and run on diesel fuel. Once the gasoline in the fuel lines was used and diesel made it’s way to the injectors, the engine will stall and not restart. The only way to correct this will be costly and time consuming. The entire fuel system from the fuel tank to the injectors will have to be drained and cleaned. The injectors will probably have to be removed in order to be cleaned. While it is possible that the fuel pump and or/injectors may be damaged, typically if the system is properly cleaned and fuel filter replaced, the engine should run normally again. Have the vehicle towed to a local repair shop as it may be necessary for the fuel tank to be removed from beneath the car in order to drain and clean it completely.