Q: car maintenance tips

Hey ! i got CLA 45 AMG !! last summer in canada ! I'm away till next may now ! my car has been parked up in my parents house warm garage. no one is driving it at all just me during the summer! my question is should my parents start the car or what kind of tips you could help me with my car maintenance while I'm gone or nothing needs to be done its no problem for it to be there till i get home! thank you

Hello, thank you for writing in. When it comes to "long-term" storage maintenance is really more about preparation. Storing it in a heated (or even unheated) garage is one of the biggest steps. This will keep it dry, out of the cold, and out of the sun. One of the best and commonly overlooked steps is to change the oil. Oil conditions and cleans, so leaving the oil dirty will basically leave the bottom of the engine sitting in its own filth. Clean oil will allow the engine to better itself if anything else while it sits. The battery is another component to consider. You will either want to start the car once a week or so, or disconnect the battery. Keep in mind disconnecting the battery will erase all of your settings. The fuel is also something to consider. The tank if full will be less likely to accumulate any moisture inside. The tires will also eventually develop flat spots. Lift the car on jack stands, or drive the vehicle to help prevent this. Fully inflated tires will help. Lastly, take off the parking brake. Keeping in engaged for that long will stretch out the cables, and wear out the brakes. For more help getting the car ready for storage, contact our service department who can service the vehicle at your home or office.