Q: Car lost power and has weird smell. Catalytic conferter glowing orange.

asked by on December 21, 2015

My car has lost power, the exhaust has a weird smell to it, and the catalytic converter glows orange when driving.

Hello, from what you describe you could have two possibilities, a lean condition, or a plugged catalytic converter. A lean condition can be caused by having low fuel system pressure and volume or by being commanded by the engine control unit. The catalytic converter could have come apart and is not allowing proper exhaust flow causing the catalytic converter to overheat and glow.