Q: Car jumps in Reverse & less in Drive

asked by on August 04, 2016

For the past few months, when I put my car in Reverse, it jumps. Also in Drive, it slightly jumps but not as much as in Reverse. In Reverse, it is a much harder jump. In researching I’ve found that it could be anything from a simple transmission flush, to motor mounts, or a bad transmission. The electronic trip mileage acts strange, but then returns to normal functioning. Once the car has run a while, the engine light stays on. Then in a couple of days the light goes off and everything is fine until the next time, which sometimes can be weeks before happening again. It drives much the same as usual, except when accelerating from a stopped position it seems a bit delayed. The transmission fluid has never been checked because it’s encased and I can’t get to it. I’m hoping the problem is just a flush/fill needing to be performed. I had a friend take a look and he thought it was driving fine. When he started it, the light wasn’t on. Due to finances, I can’t take it to a dealership. Can you tell me what is the problem and is there any way I can fix this myself?

Hello. I would start by having the transmission fluid drained and inspected. If the fluid smells burnt or has any metal in it, then the transmission is failing. If the fluid looks good, then servicing it may help.

This is sometimes also caused by worn out engine and transmission mounts so those need to be checked, too.

If those are fine, then the internal pressure of the transmission needs to be checked. I would also check the battery and the connections at the battery as low voltage will cause this and the other electrical issues that you are having. If you want to have this looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the jumping transmission and advise you on any repairs needed.