Q: Car jerks when let off gas and apply pedal

asked by on September 17, 2017

When i drive in 4th gear at 45mph 2300 rpm when i let off the car jerks not that hard though very light then when i put my foot on the gas again it jerks lightly forward it does this in other gears if i get high rpms. i have shorty headers and a cold air intake on it if that will help at all

If the "jerking" is engine, as opposed to transmission, related then there may be something amiss in the air induction, ignition or fuel systems. Did this issue start recently? Looking at NHTSA complaint data on your vehicle as far as the transmission is concerned there are actually a lot of complaints related to the powertrain and actually one full blown NHTSA investigation (case closed though, no recall). I think a mechanic would first have to first road test the vehicle to rule the transmission in or out. If ruled out, a real time scan tool would be used to record engine operating conditions during these excursions (these jerking incidents) that you are referring to. To get all the required diagnostic steps performed, just request an engine diagnostic. During such a diagnostic, the certified mechanic would come to your location and run through all the possible causes of engine misoperation at speed and some of those possibilities include malfunctioning oxygen sensors, dirty fuel injectors, faulty spark plugs, a faulty mass airflow sensor and vacuum leaks. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.