Q: Car is jerking forward when trying to come to a stop. Jerking started today after filling gas. Service engine soon light is on

asked by on March 02, 2017

Gas cap won't lock I don't know if that could be the issue. Car jerks forward when coming to a stop. Jerking started today after filling up gas at SpeedWay. Service engine soon light is on

Hi There, The check engine light is likely related to your gas cap not locking. This may also cause the jerking reaction as this is connected to the EVAP system in your car. Your car has a small purge valve with a purge solenoid in the Evaporative Emissions system that controls the venting of fumes from the fuel tank as these fumes build up inside, particularly when you are refueling the car with gas. The EVAP system prevents fuel vapors from the fuel tank from escaping into the atmosphere. I would recommend having an expert from Your Mechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.