Q: Car hesitates only on cold starts - 1997 Dodge Dakota

97 dodge Dakota hesitate only on cold starts. Clears up completely after a minute or so of idling or driving about a mile. After the cold hiccup stage it runs great. I have changed the iac, tps, pcv valve, plugs, wires, cap and rotor. I don't mind letting it warm up for a minute but I'm afraid it could be a sign of a more serious issue. There isn't a check engine light or trouble codes. Fires right up. Almost as soon as I turn the key. You just can't drive it right away unless you want to deal with the slight hiccup the first mile. Gets decent fuel mileage for a 318. About 14 in town and 17-18 highway. I have searched around for vacuum leaks but can't find any. I can't figure it out. If I let it do its warm up ritual I can get strait onto the interstate and run 80 mph no problem. No problem while driving either. I just just went on a 300 mile trip with no issues at all.

Hi there. In most cases, cold starting issues are commonly caused by low fuel pressure inside the fuel injector nozzles. When it gets cold, fuel that is inside the fuel lines tends to flow backwards, which causes hesitation and engine stumbling upon initial fire. As the engine warms, the fuel pressure improves and this problem goes away. It’s sometimes caused by dirty or clogged fuel injectors or the throttle body being dirty as well. Sometimes, cleaning the fuel injectors will help to reduce this issue. Otherwise, you can contact a mobile mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, and have them complete an inspection to determine why the car is hard to start so they can figure it out and recommend the right repairs.