Q: Car has trouble starting with the a quarter of gas left

The car has troubles starting when the gas tank is left with around a quarter of gas left in it. Then, I have to try a couple of times and it eventually starts. I had the fuel pump replaced about a month ago but still the same issue. What else might be the cause of the problem?

A: Hello. There is usually a tray inside the f...

Hello. There is usually a tray inside the fuel tank located under the fuel pump. This is used to get fuel to the pump when the gas is low or if the car is on an incline. This tray could have shifted, making it difficult to start when the gas in on a quarter of a tank or less. It is also possible that the fuel pressure regulator is malfunctioning when you have low fuel. If the new fuel pump is faulty you may be experiencing the same problem. If this issue gets worse or becomes more frequent, enlist the help of a local expert, like one from YourMechanic, who can diagnose the cause of the hard start and perform needed repairs.