Q: Car check before taking a trip

2003 Trail Blazer, 230,000 miles. Runs and drives great. I'm planning to take a road trip to the World of Fun with my girlfriend for a weekend. It's about 223 miles away. What should I inspect on my car before making that drive?

A: The first thing you’d want to do is have yo...

The first thing you’d want to do is have your battery and alternator tested. Look at your fan belts and make sure they aren’t cracked. Because if they are cracked, replace them now. Look at your tires and make sure they are full of air. And look and make sure they aren’t old and cracked because old and cracked tires on a highway can get blown up so you’d want to change them before you get stuck somewhere. It’s a good idea to just get a professional to overlook all your hoses to see if they are cracked. Check all your fluids and make sure nothing is leaking. Of course, if you see anything leaking, fix it now before you get stuck in the middle of nowhere. If you want to be really safe, have a comprehensive inspection done to make sure that all faults are taken care of before you get on the road.