Q: My car ran out of oil completely. Brought it to a place they put oil in it and said it was okay but it smells really bad still.

I got in my car this morning to go to work. After driving on the highway for about 2 minutes my engine light came on, my vehicle stability assistance light came on, basically my dashboard lights lit up like a Christmas tree. I continued to drive for about one-and-a-half miles until I got to work. While driving this short distance I noticed that I could not go over 30 miles an hour or the car started to buck. I had it towed to a car place where they checked and said it had absolutely no oil in it at all. I always have my oil changed every 3000 Miles and have maintained my vehicle from the day that I bought it as a used but certified Honda vehicle. Right now the car is running OK and I do not see any smoke coming out of the exhaust. However, it's smells burnt very badly. Is this normal after having it run out of oil? And if so, how long before it should go away before I should be concerned that there is another underlying problem? Thank you! Kind regards, Lisa Marie

You should monitor your oil level more often. Your engine may need oil added to it between oil changes. If you have to add 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles it is considered normal. If you have to put more than that then have the engine checked for oil consumption evaluation.

3. My car ran out of oil completely. Brought it to a place they put oil in it and said it was okay but it smells really bad still.