Q: Car broke down and won't work. Need help

Yesterday, my girlfriend's car broke down on the freeway. We had to get it towed. And today, the mechanic called and said that it might be the transmission. We need consultation and help in avoiding spending too much money. Hope you can help.

A: Hi, thanks for writing in. It would be very...

Hi, thanks for writing in. It would be very difficult to diagnose this issue without performing a quality inspection. If you feel that the mechanic is trying to overcharge you for something you may not need, I would recommend getting a second opinion from another service facility. If you get multiple opinions and arrive at the same result, it is likely that transmission damage may have occurred. If you get a different result somewhere else, I would go after a third opinion to see if two out of three line up. If you can get matching opinions, this would be the most likely cause of your problem. If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect your car for you and make or suggest any repairs needed.