Q: Car alarm goes off for no good reason. At times I have seen the hood ajar error.

Alarm goes off for no good reason, I have seen the error hood ajar. I tried to jump the switch out but which 2 of the 3 do I jump? I hope I am on the correct line of troubleshooting or have you seen another cause for the problem?

A: Hi, thanks for writing in. Your car is equi...

Hi, thanks for writing in. Your car is equipped with an anti-theft system which functions based upon the use of sensors that detect the car’s points of entry (i.e. doors, trunk, hood, etc). When the anti-theft system is set (usually when manually set with key fob or in some cases when the key fob reaches a certain distance away from the vehicle), these sensors are armed. When there is any movement or breach of these, this is what sets the alarm off. Occasionally, these sensors will malfunction causing the alarm to go off without reason. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your home or office to confirm a diagnosis on the issue and make or suggest the necessary repairs or replacements.