Q: Can Ignition Problems Cause Engine Misfires?

Can ignition problems cause engine misfires?

Faulty ignition system components are among the leading causes of engine misfires. Parts such as spark plugs, spark plug wires and boots, and ignition coils are highly stressed by high voltage and a high underhood temperature environment. While most of these components are greatly improved over older versions, some of them still have a recommended service life.

For instance, spark plug replacement is listed on the schedule of recommended maintenance provided by manufacturers to be performed at certain mileage intervals. However, ignition coil life varies widely and so they generally remain in service until or if, failure requires replacement.

Misfires can be caused by a variety of conditions so accurate diagnosis on today’s complex vehicles demands training, experience, and sufficient tooling. Replacing parts that aren’t needed can be avoided by allowing a certified technician to perform an accurate diagnosis of the engine misfire.