Q: Can driving in heavy rain warp rotors?

asked by on July 09, 2017

A mechanic informed us that the front rotors are warped on our 2005 Hyundai Accent 5 speed GLS. There are no symptoms that I've just read about. No noise. No jittering. I cannot tell anything is wrong w/the brakes. Was told brake pads were needed on all four wheels and the front rotors replaced. He indicated all the heavy, continuous rains this winter could be what warped them. I can find no information pertaining to driving in heavy rains linked to warping rotors. Does this sound suspicious to you as well? Thanks!

Hi There, Driving in heavy rains should not impact the rotors as they are designed to withstand water. In some cases, in the event they are subjected to water continuously and develop severe rust this may be possible, but that is something that would generally take a long period of time with the car sitting and not being driven for the rust to develop. I would suggest having one of our experts here at YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at your vehicle.