Q: Can a strut fail by just using a car hoist?

My truck has 41000 miles, approximately 6 years old, never went off road. I live in Wisconsin. Is it possible that my front strut can fail by putting the truck on hoist? If yes why would this occur? Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

A: Hi, thanks for writing in. In my 35 plus ye...

Hi, thanks for writing in. In my 35 plus years of servicing vehicles, I have never seen a strut go bad when I lifted a vehicle on a lift, however this does not mean it is not possible. When the vehicle is lifted, the struts would be extended to their maximum extended length. If there was a problem inside the strut that when it extended, it cut or damaged the seals, then it could possibly cause the strut to leak out it pressure or oil. The struts are almost eight years old, and 5 or 6 years is the average life of struts to last before they leak or seals dry out and fail. Maybe putting the vehicle on the lift just finished them off. If you would like help with replacing your struts, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to perform the strut replacements for you.