Q: Can a fuel cap cause my Chevy Tahoe to reduce engine power

asked by on July 26, 2017

Can a fuel cap cause my Tahoe to say reduce engine power on the message dash.

Hi There, The check engine light indicates that there is likely something wrong with the engine or transmission in your vehicle and will usually come on in conjunction with the vehicle going into the reduced power mode. This happens when the vehicle computer detects something wrong with the engine or transmission that may potentially cause further damage or present a safety issue. It is important to have this diagnosed as soon as possible as it could range from something minor to something more serious. Unfortunately, there are many different reasons for this light to come on and the best way to diagnose is to have the vehicle hooked up to a scanner which will download the engine fault codes indicating more specifically what may be wrong. Generally, the fuel cap will not cause the vehicle to go into reduced power mode, but it will cause the check engine light to come on. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr