Q: Cam shaft sensor

I had recently fixed the bearing to my car and a bit after had to go on the highway for camping , as I was coming back I noticed my wheel had been a little off the power steering wasn't working very well. Late at night that day I was driving around with some friends and halfway down the street my car had suddenly made a thud noise. My check engine , oil ,and battery light had turned on , my engine stopped. I made a quickly turn off the road and to the side. We had our engine checker and I had said my cam shaft sensor had given out. We replaced it the other day and the car is still dead, we had half a tank of gas and also the battery was still fully working.

It sounds like you have multiple problems going on. The camshaft sensor can set a fault code if it is not turning. If it’s not turning, it’s most likely from a broken timing belt. If the timing belt broke, then the camshaft(s) is not turning. If the camshaft is not turning, the camshaft position sensor may set a fault code. Either remove the timing belt cover, or remove the oil cap, and have someone crank the engine. You should see movement of the belt - or the cam/valvetrain if you’re looking inside the oil cap. If the timing belt broke, then it’s highly probable that you have valve and/or piston damage as the 2.0 is an interference engine, and when the timing belt brakes, valves and pistons hit will each other. If you would like to have a professional come take a look at this, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to the car’s location to diagnose the power steering and starting problem. From there, they can make the appropriate repairs to have this corrected.

3. Cam shaft sensor