Q: Cam shaft sensor

I had recently fixed the bearing to my car and a bit after had to go on the highway for camping , as I was coming back I noticed my wheel had been a little off the power steering wasn't working very well. Late at night that day I was driving around with some friends and halfway down the street my car had suddenly made a thud noise. My check engine , oil ,and battery light had turned on , my engine stopped. I made a quickly turn off the road and to the side. We had our engine checker and I had said my cam shaft sensor had given out. We replaced it the other day and the car is still dead, we had half a tank of gas and also the battery was still fully working.

A: It sounds like you have multiple problems g...

It sounds like you have multiple problems going on. The camshaft sensor can set a fault code if it is not turning. If it’s not turning, it’s most likely from a broken timing belt. If the timing belt broke, then the camshaft(s) is not turning. If the camshaft is not turning, the camshaft position sensor may set a fault code. Either remove the timing belt cover, or remove the oil cap, and have someone crank the engine. You should see movement of the belt - or the cam/valvetrain if you’re looking inside the oil cap. If the timing belt broke, then it’s highly probable that you have valve and/or piston damage as the 2.0 is an interference engine, and when the timing belt brakes, valves and pistons hit will each other. If you would like to have a professional come take a look at this, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to the car’s location to diagnose the power steering and starting problem. From there, they can make the appropriate repairs to have this corrected.