Q: Cam gear markings

I have a 2000 2.5. Both cam gears are marked L, instead of L and R. Is it possible that the gears are marked L on one side of the gear, and R on the other?

Yes, this is possible. There are some engines like Toyotas 3.x series engines which use the same gear for both banks, but one side is the reverse of the other. Pay very close attention to all of your parts on disassembly to avoid a situation like this when trying to go back together with the vehicle. I recommend taking frequently taking pictures of your progress when working on your vehicle so you can reference to them later when needed. For now, consider hiring the help of an experienced technician like one from YourMechanic to assist you in getting your parts together. The technician will not reassemble your work, but may be able to set you back on track.

3. Cam gear markings