Q: Burning oil, can’t sustain the oil changes

My 2006 Nissan Altima started to burn through some of its oil at around 110,000 miles. I didn’t think too much of this, chalking it up to another high mileage car quirk. The burning was pretty moderate as well, only using an extra quart every couple thousand miles. As I passed 120,000 miles it started needing a quart after every thousand miles. And now that I am almost at 130,000, I am putting in 2 quarts for every thousand miles! Is there a solution to this or is it time to move onto a newer car?

Hi, You are not alone. Nissan has released a recall, ntb06-082, that deals with this issue and estimates that roughly 115,000 vehicles are affected. The fix for the oil consumption may be as serious as engine replacement, or as simple as an engine control module (ECM) software update or reprogramming. The steps are pretty straight-forward. The dealer will reprogram the ECM then takes steps to analyze the oil use. In some cases, an oil sample will be taken and then the dealer will call you with the results in 2-3 weeks. While this all seems to simple, be aware that Nissan has extended its engine warranty coverage to 7 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. This means that the analysis and repairs on your vehicle will not be covered. My advice is to monitor the oil level, but immediately contact your nearest Nissan dealer, as there is a possibility for fire if the oil level gets too low. The dealer may or may not be sympathetic, as you are 30% over the mileage limit.