Q: Burning oil?

asked by on September 22, 2016

I was at a gas station earlier and left and down the highway my oil light came on. I threw a quart in my car just to make it to the same gas station to get more. So I get there and I see a GIANT puddle of used oil sitting near where I was at the pump. I go in and to get more oil and see another puddle of newer oil next the the old one. I checked the dip stick and added 2 more quarts and drove home carefully but there's no oil in my drive way at all and there is oil in my car. Am I just burning it then and did that oil belong to someone else? I have been putting oil in my car since the middle of summer almost 3-4 weeks after an oil change at valvoline. Thanks!

Smoke from engine or exhaust Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote
Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) Valve Replacement $82.70 - $485.95 Get a Quote
Oil/Fluid Leak Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. It sounds like your car has an oil issue. It sounds like it can be a combination of issues. I would usually get the vehicle in the air to check for leaks first. If it was just burning this much oil then you would have a lot of smoke coming from the exhaust.

If the oil leak cannot easily be found then dye would need to be added to pinpoint where it is leaking from. If the engine is burning a lot of oil then it may have a valve stem seal issue or even just a bad PCV valve.

If you want to have this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the oil leak firsthand.