Q: Burned-up coil on a 6-cylinder Dodge

What might cause a coil unplugged to start smoking with the ignition on a Dodge 6-cylinder? What would cause a constant current that burned up the coil?

A: First thing you want to check is to make su...

First thing you want to check is to make sure that your spark plugs are the right heat range because if they are the wrong heat range and they are running too hot, they can melt the coil and cause all kinds of problems.

If that is okay, you also want to check the ground to make sure that the ground cable from the negative terminal and the battery to the engine is good. If the engine isn't ground right it can make the coils run hotter, because they've got grounding. If that’s not the case and you do have a bad ignition control module--that can do it but that wouldn't make all the starters melt. If the coil's unplugged and you've got six of them, it would make them all go bad, not just one. And last but not least, if it is coil unplugged, the computer can have a wiring problem, and it could be shorting it out and making it start smoking. I would have a certified technician inspect the car's smoke in person to verify the fault. From there, they can make any needed repairs to have this issue resolved.