Q: Break lights wont turn off after turning car off

My break lights wont turn off after I turned off car and yes my headlights are off , I was wondering will this kill my battery? And what is the problem? Thanks.

A: If your brake lights are staying on, it wil...

If your brake lights are staying on, it will drain your battery. You need to disconnect your battery while the car is off or until you resolve this issue.

The most likely cause for the brake lights staying on is the brake light switch sticking closed. You can disconnect the plug from the brake light switch at the brake light pedal to see if the lights turn off. If they do, you will need a replacement brake light switch. Otherwise, you will need further electrical diagnosis.