Q: Brakes: Dealership vs Dad

I was just at the mechanic because I've heard a scraping noise when turning left. My car is a 2012 Toyota Corolla. After looking at it, they said I need new brakes. There is no material on left inner pad, outer pad is approximately 1.2mm. They said $500 to replace brakes and rotors.

My dad says he can do it for a lot less this weekend. The problem being I would need to continue driving my car to work all week (25 minutes each way) and then drive it 250 miles up to Maine because that is where my dad lives. I understand there is a risk of damaging the calipers. I am not clear, though, whether I am risking my life or someone else's.

My question is...am I being an idiot to drive it that far in order to save a few hundred dollars? Are the mechanics trying to scare me into giving them the job? Should I bite the bullet and pay the $500 if they can do it tomorrow?

A: My suggestion would be to think of the safe...

My suggestion would be to think of the safety factor first. You could have your dad come to you and fix it. If the inner pad is worn to metal and the outer pad has material left then the caliper slides will need to be cleaned and lubed also, so make sure Dad knows how this before he works on your car. Another great option could be to have this done by a mobile mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, that can come to your home or office to service your vehicle. They will be able to replace your brake pads and rotors for you. You can build a quote for your car for free to see how much this would cost you in comparison to the dealer or your dad.