Q: Brakes catch first thing

When I first drive my truck each day, the brakes grab really hard. Once I've used them a few times, they smooth out.

For an issue like this, a certified mechanic will need to inspect the vehicle and determine exactly where the problem is located. However, it sounds to me like you have a problem with a sticking caliper or a fluid leak.

A caliper will accumulate debris over time and will resist letting the piston move to apply the brake pads. After a couple of heat cycles, it can free up and work normally for a while. Eventually, the piston will cease up and you will have to replace it anyway. Or, there may be a fluid leak that is getting onto the caliper, or pads, and the first couple of heat cycles burns most of the fluid off, and the brakes appear to work normally.

Either way, the situation will need to be fixed to avoid a dangerous driving situation. If you need help identifying and repairing the issue, YourMechanic offers several options. They have trained mechanics that can come to your home, or place of business, and perform a diagnosis of your brake system and repair it as necessary.