Q: Intermittent Starting problems with 2006 Hyundai Azera

I turn the ignition and it won't start. The dashboard lights, headlights and everything functions, but nothing happens. There is no clicking, the engine doesn't turn over. There's no sound whatsoever. I wait a few minutes ( it various each time, sometimes 5 minutes or 45 minutes) and then the car starts like nothing happened. There is no telling when it will do this.

I bought the car new and it did it once when I first purchased it, but thought nothing of it. I took it to the dealer and they couldn't find anything wrong. Now it is older, it is doing it more frequently.

I've been researching symptoms for bad ips module, BECIF connector, pcm and any other problem it may be.

I've taken it to the dealer twice, but it won't duplicate not starting, so the dealer can't diagnose the problem. They supposedly have completed a check, but nothing came up. They cleaned the battery posts, but I told them that wasn't the problem. Four days later it did the same thing. HELP!

Hi there:

These type of starting issues are incredibly difficult to correctly diagnose; especially if the issue can’t be replicated. In most cases, some of the common sources that cause this type of issue include a crankshaft position sensor that is faulty, a neutral or park safety switch that has a loose connection in the transmission or another minor electrical glitch; perhaps in the ignition lock cylinder. The only way to find these issues is if they trigger an error code and a warning light comes on; allowing the mechanic to complete a check engine light inspection.