Q: Binding popping noise when decelerating without applying the brakes.

When decelerating it makes a binding popping like noise when going in a straight line without applying the brakes sounds like it's coming from underneath the driver side floorboard or front end area. Universal joints appear to be ok but can't be ruled out.

A: Hi there. To test the universal joints, pr...

Hi there. To test the universal joints, press up on the drive shaft near the joint and see if the caps move around. Take the drive shaft and turn it back and forth and see if the drive shaft moves before the joint does. There will be a little play in the caps and be noticeable. If the joint is greasable, then grease up the joint and test drive the vehicle. If the noise goes away, the the joint bearings have burned up. You can always remove the universal joint and check out the bearings. If the universal joint has more than 50,000 miles on it or more than 10 years, then I suggest replacing it. If you need further assistance with checking the binding noise when decelerating, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.