Q: Big oil leak coming from gearbox now car dosent move

asked by on April 20, 2016

Hi there, I was driving along then out of no where the car stalled, i pulled over to realise a big leak coming from the gearbox area just pouring out all over the road, now when i put the car in gear and release the clutch The car dosent move at all, its not engine oil as i checked that theres still oil in engine using the dipstick its a 1997 hyundai lantra, any ideas or anything at all would help and be much appreciated. Thanks

My car has 210000 kms My car has a manual transmission.

Transmission fluid is leaking Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

The most likely cause is that oil leaked out of the gearbox, or as I would call it "manual transmission" or "transaxle" for front wheel drive vehicles, which caused the bearings in the transmission to seize due to lack of proper lubrication. It’s also possible that something inside the transmission broke and put a hole in the transmission, causing the sudden loss of fluid.

If you’re lucky the axle may have just come out of the transmission and leaked out the fluid and this would cause the vehicle to not move. After having it towed somewhere safe, have it diagnosed by a mechanic, like one from YourMechanic.com, to have the fluid leak inspected. Do not try and drive it to prevent more damage or a fire hazard.