Q: Battery with white buildup

asked by on June 09, 2016

I've noticed a pretty big buildup of white gunk on my car battery. The car always starts up fine at first turn. Is it affecting anything? Should I clean it off?

Yes, you’ll need to clean the connections off because it will eventually start to corrode the metal.

In order to do this, take your battery terminals off, clean it really well with a wire brush that you can get at auto parts stores. Once you clean them reconnect the connectors on tight. Then buy a can of battery terminal corrosion resistance spray which you can also get at auto part stores. It’s usually a red spray. Once you apply the spray corrosion won’t occur anymore because it will seal battery acid from getting on the metal and prevent that white buildup you saw. It’s good practice to do this. You don’t want a bunch of corrosion accumulating under the hood.

If you need help with this or run into any problems with your battery, contact a certified mechanic who can help you ensure that your battery and cables are maintained for proper operation.