Q: Car starting intermittently.

I need an inspection. Sometimes my car will start and sometimes it will not.

A: Intermittent no start conditions can be amo...

Intermittent no start conditions can be among the most difficult to diagnose because of their irregular nature.

There are two things that come to mind. Number one: A faulty starter will cause a condition similar to what you are describing. Starters are motors that run on electromagnets. The starters are usually mounted in high heat areas and get used every time you start your car. Heat and high usage are tough on electrical components, so starter failures are common.

Number two: Theft deterrent systems. Most cars now a days have a built in factory theft deterrent system. This system is tied to your cars computer system. The key has a built in microchip that is programmed to your vehicles ignition switch. If the switch fails to recognize the key or the key loses is programming, your car thinks you are trying to steal it so the computer will not let it start. Unfortunately this is becoming common also.

A technician should be able to inspect both of these and determine the cause of your problem.