Q: Battery light and power steering

Battery light is on and hard to turn steering wheel to the right

The power steering pump and the alternator which charges the battery are driven off of the same serpentine belt. Therefore, the first thing to check is the condition of that belt and whether belt tension is adequate. If there is no problem with the drive belt, the battery should be load tested. If the battery passes a load test be sure it is not a marginal pass in which case you should install a new battery to reduce diagnostic headaches (a properly functioning battery is very important). Once the battery is verified, or replaced as necessary, the charging system output has to be measured to be sure the charging circuit is functioning properly. As far as the steering fault, check the level of power steering fluid in the reservoir. If the power steering fluid level is OK, the problem will have to be diagnosed and the appropriate service to request is a power steering system diagnostic. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Battery light and power steering