Q: Battery/Car Not Starting

I recently got a battery replacement from Pep boys and the mechanic had to jump start my "New battery" once he tightened the terminals because it did not crank once he installed it. I just visited my family for Christmas in Atlanta and from not driving it 2-3 days, when it was time to departure the car wouldn't crank and i had to get it jump started again so i could make my 200+ miles back. It was cold at nights no lower than 52degrees. About a month before this, I cleaned my terminals from battery corrosion with baking soda etc. But i think i may have cleaned it wrong leaving the positive terminals attached. So maybe this could be the reason? I'm just stuck between if its a bad battery or a starting issue.

It sounds like your new battery may not be charging sufficiently due to a failing alternator that may not be charging properly. As you may know, the alternator is responsible for charging the battery while the engine runs by generating amperage and recharging the battery while the engine turns the alternator. The voltage regulator is a unit that regulates the charging of the battery by the alternator and maintaining a certain amperage while the engine runs. When the alternator is not working properly, this may result in the battery quickly losing charge and the car losing all power as you have described. You may also notice a whining sound as a result of the bearings inside the alternator begin to fail. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your charging system.

3. Battery/Car Not Starting